Friday, December 5, 2008

The arche

Ok, this is the first post, representing the beginning of my life as a blogger. Whether or not there is a second post will let you know if I survived for long!

Who am I, that I should presume to blog?

Well, its not that I have enormous amounts of free time, or that I am bursting forth with wisdom that I feel I need to share, or even that I idolize bloggers. The reason, in fact, is quite selfish.

You see, I have spent the last 4 years of my life writing my life project, a doctoral dissertation on the interface between science, theology, and philosophy. The problem is, now that I am done (or almost done...) I feel anything but complete. In fact, I feel like I have just started on a fascinating intellectual journey that promises to be compelling and filled with purpose, yet the content of this journey is still hazy to me. Its as if I see what is out there but I cannot grasp it. The vision is clouded by uncertainty (but not doubt), conceptual difficulties, and inexperience.

And here is where the blog - and anyone brave enough to follow my thoughts - comes in. The journey of one's life is not to be taken alone. When one's journey is an intellectual one, then it is important to share that journey with others who are themselves on a pilgrimage. It is my hope that this blog will provide an outlet for my thoughts, which are intensely personal, with the hope that in sharing them I will gain from your insight.

Well, that's pretty much it. My first few posts will most likely be related to my dissertation, but I will try to refrain from technical jargon and overly pompous syntax. While issues in theology, philosophy, and science are quite complex in their specificity, the ideas are simple enough that they can be part of public discourse. So hopefully you will stick with me as I explore some ideas, some deep and some not so, with the goal that we can all grow from sharing our experience of being in the world.

2 comments:

Kyle said...

Deep thoughts by AJ!

FLBelle said...

I'm with you, Babe.