Wednesday, December 10, 2008

My Christmas presents to you!

These are hard economic times indeed. Those of you in steady and secure jobs (if there is such a thing anymore) should be especially thankful this holiday season. So in the spirit of the times, I bring to you free cool stuff off the internet to help make this holiday season just a little brighter.

1. Pandora

Those itunes fees running up your credit card bill, but you just can't stop? Well, I can't really help you if want free songs for your ipod (well, I can but its illegal). However, if you are near a computer log on to http://www.pandora.com/, make a profile, and customize all of your stations. Trust me, this site is great for listening to all those old classics as well as finding new artists and songs. Sign up and we can share radio stations!

(FYI, you can see my profile at http://www.pandora.com/people/ajacobs1213 and steal my stations too!)

2. OpenOffice.org

Have a computer but need MS Word and don't have the $150 to shell out for Office? Head to http://www.openoffice.org/ and download their latest office suite. It is an entire office suite, completely compatible with Micro$oft's office - and its completely free.

I know, it sounds wierd, but its true. To tell you how much I trust this, I typed my entire final chapter (sitting at just under 50 pages as of now) in OpenOffice Writer (the Word alternative), and I even did some diagrams in Draw. Please, for the love of all that is good and free, check this out before you buy MS Office. Trust me.

Following that vein of thought...

3. Open-source alternatives

You would probably be surprised to find that there are open-source (i.e. free to use) versions of almost all commercial software out there. Head to http://www.osalt.com/, where you will find a database of all of these programs. Some are limited, but most are pretty awesome.

OK, well that's all I have right now. Hopefully, this will provide you some free enjoyment, or at least save you some money. Please feel free to share in the comments any other internet surprises!

3 comments:

Those Voices said...

Geek! BTW all of my Office products are free

Andrew Jacobs said...

Well, yeah, most people get office free on their work computers, and those who have MSDN can get it at home.

But its a nice alternative, especially for students or casual users or people who build their own machines.

Unknown said...

I just want to know where you are buying Office for $150! You must have the insider's deal. You know someone at MS don't you.